Dr Fabio Zaina
Dr Fabio Zaina
Main duties today
Since 2006 Medical Doctor in ISICO (Italian Scientific Spine Institute) (www.isico.it) in Milan
2007-2011 Teacher fellow in “Physical Medicine and Physiotetherapy”, Motor Sciences University Course, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan
2011-today Assistant Editor of the “European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine“
2007-2011 Scientific Secretary of the “European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine“ fomer “Europa Medicophysica”).
2014-today BMC Associate Editor
Since 2006 Member of the Scientific Secretary Board of the Italian Study Group on Scoliosis and spinal diseases (GSS) (www.gss.it)
2012-2016 Teaching Assistant at “Principles and Practice of Clinical Research Course”, Harvard Medical School, Department of Continuing Education, Boston, USA
Since 2016 Site Director of the SOSORT Group at “Principles and Practice of Clinical Research Course”, Harvard Medical School, Department of Continuing Education, Boston, USA
Since 2018: Chair of the Technical working group about Low Back Pain for the project “Rehabilitation 2030, a call for action” promoted by the World Health Organization
2002 Degree in Medicine
2006 Specialty cum laude in Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
2007 Degree in Osteopathy
- SOSORT AWARD Winner 2014 for the best research paper: “In favour of the definition "adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis": juvenile and adolescent idiopathic scoliosis braced after ten years of age, do not show different end results”. Donzelli S, Zaina F, Lusini M, Minnella S, Negrini S. Scoliosis. 2014 Jun 27;9:7.
- SOSORT AWARD Winner 2012 for the best research paper :”It is possible to make patients use braces the hours prescribed: first results from the Thermobrace clinical everyday usage.” S. Donzelli, F. Zaina, S. Negrini
- SOSORT AWARD Winner 2011 for the best research paper: “Team care to cure adolescents with braces (avoiding low quality of life, pain and bad compliance): a case-control retrospective study.” Tavernaro M, Pellegrini A, Tessadri F, Zaina F, Zonta A, Negrini S. Scoliosis. 2012 Sep 20;7(1):17.
- SOSORT AWARD Winner 2009 for the best research paper: “Efficacy of conservative treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: end-growth results respecting SRS and SOSORT criteria”. Negrini S., Atanasio S., Fusco C., Zaina F. Scoliosis. 2009;4:19.
- SOSORT AWARD Winner 2008 for the best research paper: “Exercises during brace weaning can reduce loss of correction in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis (AIS) patients” Zaina F, Negrini S, Atanasio S, Fusco C, Romano M, Negrini A. Scoliosis: 2009;4:8
- Europa Medicophysica Special Mention 2007: “Rehabilitation evaluation of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: development of a full set of new instruments and evaluation of their reliability” F. Zaina, S. Negrini, M. Romano.
- Europa Medicophysica-SIMFER 2007 Award Winner: “Rehabilitation of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: results of exercises and bracing according to a series of clinical studies” Negrini S, Atanasio, Zaina F, Romano M.
2006-today Active Member of the international Society On Spinal Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Treatment (SOSORT)
2006 Founder of the international Society On Spinal Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Treatment (SOSORT), former Study group On Spinal Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Treatment
2008-2014 Chair of the Membership Committee of the international Society On Spinal Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Treatment (SOSORT) (www.sosort.mobi)
2009-2017 SOSORT Board Member, Treasurer from 2012 to 2014, Elected president in 2014.
2016: President of SOSORT
2006-today member of the Gruppo di Studio della Scoliosi e patologie vertebrali (GSS)
2009-today Active Member of the International Society on the Study of the Lumbar Spine (ISSLS)
2017-today Active Member of the European Spine Society (Eurospine)
Author of 124 articles listed in Pubmed/Medline